Friday, August 07, 2009

Catching up with a few films

Took today off, as I've already done my hours for the week and we're not being paid at the moment. Managed to wake up at 9, but my only job for the day was to drop my car off for a service. So I spent the rest of the day catching up on a few films.

First up was 'I Love You, Man'. Which I almost went to see, but it just looked like a bad to average Judd Apatow type film, there seem to be at least 5 of these every . We decided to go see 'Knowing' instead, which was pretty fucking terrible. Anyway, ILYM actually managed a few decent reviews, and was generally well received by critics, and justifiably so.

It is definitely another one of 'those Judd Apatow type films', but it's a good one. The premise is a bit rubbish - guy doesn't have a best-man for his wedding, so goes on 'man dates' to make friends - but, the execution is surprisingly un-cheesy and effective. The cheaper jokes are few and far between, the characters aren't too over the top, and it all amounts to a very watchable film.

Next up was 'The Hangover', which recently became the biggest grossing R-rated comedy of all time. Again, it's received a lot of praise, and I know a lot of people who really enjoyed this film. Maybe that's why I was a little disappointed?

Four guys go to Vegas on a stag do, wake up in the morning with the groom missing, and embark on a hilarious adventure in order to find out where he is. All of the requisite boxes for "Vegas Adventure" are checked, there are plenty of ridiculously over the top situations, and it all works out in the end. It's definitely funny in places, and I can see why people liked it, but the number of groans matched the number of laughs for me.

Finally, I got round to seeing 'Let the Right One In', which Mark Kermode off of 6Music had plenty of kind words about. I like vampires. I like Bram Stoker's book, Joss Whedon's shows and I've been enjoying HBO's True Blood of late. This is a Swedish art-house vampire film, adapted from the novel of the same name.

The film follows a creepy little blonde haired kid (Oscar), who is bullied at school for being weird, and his relationship with the strange girl (Eli) who has recently shown up in the neighbourhood (SHE IS A VAMPIRE). The plot unravels slowly, perhaps sacrificing pace for fear, but this is all for the best. The relationship between Oscar and Eli is disturbing and fantastic, the two leads are wonderful, and the conclusion is nice and horrible. This is a great film to sit down and watch properly. Which you should do.

Also, it's pretty cool what happens when Vampires enter a house uninvited in this film. Much better than the ridiculous 'invisible barrier' they use in every other Vampire film ever. Shits on Twilight, too.

No comments: